An update! The "Freedom 46" are now the "Freedom 49!" Four more dogs have arrived to OBG from the Stafford County Animal Shelter. According to OBG's Facebook page, "These four dogs had been living in that hot barn until Friday when they were given to this shelter before OBG Cocker Spaniel Rescue arrived Saturday for all the dogs. We thank the Stafford County shelter for working with us. One of the dogs is heartworm positive so our vet will work quickly to test the dogs and get treatment started ASAP. Paws crossed the heart worms are not advanced yet.... We have several heartworm positive dogs and their treatment alone will cost thousands of dollars."
"The dogs rescued from this property are now safely boarding with veterinarians that work with OBG and will be evaluated by veterinarians... with the goal of moving them into foster homes as quickly as possible." ~Teresa Butler, President of the Oldies But Goodies Cocker Rescue.
Did you know there are different types of fostering? According to OBG, they have several options*:
- Foster - One of the most rewarding things you'll ever do! Temporarily care for the rescued cocker in your home until a forever home is found; this generally averages 1-4 months. OBG provides the medical care, you provide the love.
- Vacation Foster - Even the most devoted members of our foster crew can use a vacation. You can foster someone else's "baby" for a defined period of time, allowing them to have peace of mind while they're out-of-town.
- Weekend Foster - pick up a dog for the weekend. We find it much easier to place a dog in a regular foster home once we have an idea of how he or she behaves in a home environment.
- Hospice Foster - Some dogs might not have long to live, but still deserve a chance at love for the time they have left. Allow us to take in these dogs by giving them a home where they are loved and cherished.
Thinking of fostering, but would love more info? Check HERE for some great info from OBG.
To read more about this, check out Fidose of Reality story HERE and be sure to enter their GIVEAWAY to celebrate the "Freedom 46."
You can also help these beautiful dogs by:
1) Sharing the links for Oldies but Goodies Cocker Rescue blog to follow updates on the story HERE
2) Follow the Oldies but Goodies Cocker Rescue Facebook page HERE for up-to-the-minute news
3) Check out the No Wigglebutts Left Behind "Freedom 46" Fundraiser (see a few pawesome items below) going on right now through Monday August 3rd where, according to their Facebook page ..." 50% of ANYTHING purchased from our online store, is being donated to the 'Freedom 46' dogs of Oldies But Goodies Cocker Rescue."
|Photos courtesy of No Wigglebutts Left Behind|
4) Purchase OBG merch to help out the "Freedom 46" HERE.
5) Shop for a cause at OBG HERE.
6) Shop AmazonSmile HERE and Amazon will donate .5% to OBG.
7) Direct Donation. If you'd like to donate directly to the "Freedom 46" care, please visit HERE. (Even a one dollar donation times each reader will make a huge difference in their care!)
"As custodians of the planet it is our responsibility to deal with all species with kindness, love and compassion. That these animals suffer through human cruelty is beyond understanding. Please help to stop this madness." ~Richard GereSome may ask why is a Siberian Husky site sharing news about other breeds? Simple. Stories such as "Freedom 46" happen to dogs across the breeds...some are fortunate enough to be rescued, while others are still waiting. This week it's Cocker Spaniels, along with a few other breeds, and next week it could (once again) be Siberian Huskies. We are all the voice for the helpless and the homeless, the abandoned and the abused, and also spread the news of those fortunate to have loving homes, foster or permanent. We here at FiveSibes love all canines and believe that together we can have a powerful voice for the voiceless...and together we can make a difference.
Our Flashback Friday photo at the top of this post is of my FiveSibes on our back deck taken quite a few years back. It may look very familiar as it's also my blog's profile photo, and still one of my favorites of my Huskies. We are also joining in the Pet Parade blog hop in the hopes of "parading" these beautiful 49 rescued dogs for others to see in the hopes of helping more foster families coming forward to help out these furbabies in need. We hope you'll help - and I always say, "sharing is caring" - so feel free to share the story of the "Freedom 46 (49!)"