Today is National Pet Fire Safety Day ~and~ Blog the Change for Animals, so we here at the FiveSibes want to once again talk about the importance of Pet Fire Safety. We believe so strongly in Pet Fire Safety, that we chose to talk about it once again featuring tips, recommendations, a photo of a fireman in our own family, a video of a Husky who was burned and rescued from a house fire, and an in-depth heart-to-heart conversation with the Husky's mom and neighbor about the frightening ordeal. The goal of this post, reshared from last year, is to share vital information that could possibly safe a pet's life...or at the very least, give each family some peace of mind that they have done all they can in preparation for, but hopefully never have to experience, a fire where their pets are.
So many times we all settle into our daily lives with routines that take us from morning until night, weekdays until the weekend. But how many of us have stopped to make an emergency plan not only for human family members, but for our pet family members as well?
"...40,000 pets die every year in home fires." ~American Kennel Club
In case of a fire, you may have an escape route mapped out for your family, but does it include your furry members? A little forethought and pre-planning could help save a life.
Tips for Helping Prevent Your Pets From Starting Fires
Over the past few years, more and more fire departments have been equipped with pet oxygen masks. Check with your fire department to see if they have them, or if they need one, have them check out Project Breathe by Invisible Fence HERE and the department's Fire Chief can fill out an application HERE for a possible donation of a kit (which includes a small, medium, and large pet mask and bag). This is dependent upon participation from your local Invisible Fence, but it is certainly worth a phone call that could possibly wind up with your fire department receiving a pet oxygen mask kit! Be sure to tell them the FiveSibes sent you over!
While we all hope and pray a fire never starts in our homes and that our family and furfamily members are never in this type of danger, it can and does happen. On a recent episode of my Dog Works Radio show "The Sibe Vibe," we chatted with the hu-mom and neighbor/rescuer of a Siberian Husky named Nanuk who was trapped in the family home when it caught on fire and was burned. Hearing his mom and neighbor's retelling of what happened brings tears to my eyes...but lucky for Nanuk, he had a happy ending and even was able to go back and meet the heroic firemen who saved his life by administering oxygen to the badly injured Husky. Pictured above is Nanuk after his recuperation with several members of the Los Angeles Fire Department who saved him. And below is the family's video showing Nanuk's journey:
This episode of my "The Sibe Vibe" is a very important show to help bring awareness that this CAN happen to any one and some firsthand tips from a family who lived through it. Please share the player with friends and family to help bring awareness to Pet Fire Safety. You can also follow Nanuk on his Facebook page, Husky Nanuk, Burned in a House Fire to see how well this beautiful boy is now doing and to see all of his amazing photos! Below is the player featuring my interview with Nanuk's family:
And above all, let's be safe out there!