25th Anniversary of 9/11: Remembering the Dogs of 9/11
This week's #FlashbackFriday is a somber one for Patriot Day, the 25th anniversary of 9/11. This post is our tribute to all those who lost their lives during the 9/11 attacks, their families, and the brave heroes who rushed in to help—the firemen, the police, and all the first responders, as well as the Search and Rescue (SAR) teams, healthcare workers, veterinarians, and the all of the canines. Plus, the four-legged survivors waiting at home— the scared dogs and cats.
Twenty-five years.
I remember exactly where I was when the news broke, as I know all of you who were old enough to remember do as well. It's imprinted in our minds, and always will be. I was at work, like so many others, when I heard the news. It was a shock. My first thought—since so much was unknown—was to leave work and get my daughter out of school. Which I did. We then went straight home and watched the news together in horror. Soon after my cousin had called to tell me her brother-in-law, an NYFD fireman who responded, did not make it out. In the aftermath, her husband who had worked for the city's Sanitation department, joined in the gruesome efforts of removing the debris from Ground Zero to the Staten Island landfill. My own husband, a member of the New York State Police, also responded to the call during the aftermath, and the first-hand accounts were just surreal and horrific.
While it is 25 years later, and the country has healed some from that horrific day, and the days and weeks following—there will never be a true, full healing. How can there be?
But, in the spirit of healing, I want to continue to pay my respects. And, since this is a dog blog, I will be focusing on the canines—the brave ones who answer the call of duty working steadily alongside their handlers in the aftermath of one of our worst tragedies. And also share some inspiring stories of pet dogs and cats who survived.
There were an estimated 300+ dogs who answered the call along with their handlers, including the NYPD's Canine Unit. In total, there were SAR dogs, bomb-sniffing dogs, and Therapy Dogs and Emotional Support Dogs/Animals (ESA) from across the United States, as well as from Canada, and Switzerland—who, along with their handlers, worked at Ground Zero in Manhattan, the Pentagon in Virginia, or the Fresh Kills Landfill on Staten Island, and anywhere people needed a helping paw.
Plus, there were all the pets left at home on that fateful day when their families left for work and school.
Today, we remember all the hero dogs—including the guide dog, Roselle, who helped her blind owner down from the 78th floor of the north tower—to the four-legged ones who served our country in its time of need. The last SAR dog, Bretagne (pronounced "Brit-nee"), passed away at age 16 in 2016, but all of them will forever be remembered for the important role they played.
This recent video "9/11: True Stories of Ground Zero's Hero Animals" is a new tribute to amazing dogs. *Tissue Alert* Even during a catastrophic event such as this, the joy, work, love, and healing dogs have for their humans, as well as the humans' love for their dogs and cats—are unmistakable. It transcends all.
All the stories are touching...including what happened to some of the pets—dogs and cats—who were scared at home on their own when the towers fell and people were not able to get back to their residences. For my Siberian Husky followers, be sure to see the story about "Kathryn" who was one of those family pets at home alone on 9/11 when the towers were hit. (Section 24.42 on the video). And for our cat friends, see the stories about Himalayan "Precious" (Section 28:39 on video) and "Hope," "Amber," "Flag," and "Freedom" the cat who had her kittens at Ground Zero (Section is right after Precious' story). However, the entire video is so worth viewing, and inspiring—a light in the darkest of times.
| This graphic compliments of Blogville's Cat Blogosphere |

Read more about the origins of the book HERE.
Follow Us on Social Media!Click on the logos below to go to some of our pages!





Thank you for the wonderful remembrance.
ReplyDeleteWe will always remember that day.
ReplyDeleteI was quite young when this happened. I never knew how much our Wonderful animals aided during this event! Thank you ❤️
ReplyDeleteBeautiful tribute. I will never forget this horrific day. ♥
ReplyDeleteI will never forget that horrible day and I will never forget who did it to us.
ReplyDeleteThe animals are always the heroes.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful tribute. Definitely tissues needed. This day rips my heart out all over again every year. I go right back to that day. It was and is such an unbelievable tragedy that will never heal. People and animals were heroes and impacted forever. Thanks for doing this article, Dorothy. It's a lovely remembrance.
ReplyDeleteI remember that day like it was yesterday, it was evening in Cape Town and we were all sitting in a coffee shop when the news came on, we sat in silence and shock not knowing how to react. Your tribute is so heart warming and we must not forget
ReplyDeleteBeautiful remembrance, Dorothy. I was in NYC that morning, thinking I was on my way to work ..... I can't believe it's been 25 years, it still feels like yesterday to me. I was never able to visit the Freedom Tower, and I just can't watch videos about it. I'm in awe of everyone, human and canine who worked to save people that day and to participate in search and rescue. I'm more than grateful to them, I could never be that brave
ReplyDelete