Epi-Star Gibson Kicks Off National Epilepsy Awareness Month: May Epi-Dogs #LiveGibStrong

 
 

My FiveSibes "Gibson" Les Paul of Mystic Mountain
My Heart Dog. My Epi-Dog. My K9 Hero. 
My Inspiration.
by Dorothy Wills-Raftery  
 

November is Epilepsy Awareness Month, and here at FiveSibes, we always have, and always will, advocate for Canine Epilepsy Awareness.

During this month of awareness, I like to share with you a few amazing fellow Epi-dogs, who I like to call Epi-Stars. And to kick of the month, I would like to begin with my own very special boy, my fluffy, wooly, loving Siberian Husky, Gibson of the FiveSibes.

If you've followed my blog and my articles, you know my beloved heart dog, Gibson, began having seizures shortly after his third birthday in 2009, and boy, I was scared. When he had his first seizures (and you can read more from my journals HERE), I knew absolutely nothing about Canine Epilepsy or seizures in dogs when I walked in on him post-ictal, and thought I had just seen him take his last, foaming breath.  

Thankfully, it wasn't. While on the phone with the ER hospital, I turned and there he stood, living and breathing, although a bit wobbly and temporarily blind. But my boy was alive! I learned he had just had a seizure.

While he did initially have grand mal and cluster seizures (those was truly very scary)…and the cluster seizures he wound up in the ER hospital in the middle of the night (that was a horrible and frightening experience that is forever embedded in my memory), until I could get him transferred to our vet’s hospital who saved him. 

Please Note: If you are interested in a copy of my award-winning reference book, EPIc Dog Tales: Heartfelt Stories of Amazing Dogs Living and Loving Life with Canine Epilepsy, please scroll down for our November special of a 25% Discount. Copies of the printed book are now limited.

As a photojournalist by trade, I made it my mission to do research and talk with veterinary experts to learn everything I could on Canine Epilepsy. At the time, there was not much out there on the internet like there is today. So I made it my mission to create a reputable resource section so other families who found themselves on the same journey would have a place to go for information, links, and resources, so they would never have to feel alone...nor, would a dog have to be euthanized (which at the time was a pretty common recommendation). Along the way we met so many amazing people and Epidogs. I am honored to know expert veterinarians in the field, as well as directors of Canine Epilepsy organizations that help Epi-dogs. 

Through my journey with Gibson, I learned to take my lead from him as he embraced life with zest. He did not let epilepsy stop him! He was one of the happiest, silliest, most beautiful soulful dogs I have ever known.

As the saying goes...we have come a long way, baby, when it comes to Canine Epilepsy Awareness.

Before I go on with today's post,  I want to share an important online event for National (K9) Epilepsy Awareness Month you can listen to On Demand. A “Must-See” for any Epi-dog caregiver. 

 

Click on graphic below and enter Passcode: cjZCQs8? in box in order to listen to the 2-hour session (you can pause it).



I'm very excited about this Zoom event and honored to be among an excellent panel of guests, including a Q&A session with veterinarian neurology experts Dr. Karen Muñana and Julie Nettifee, RVT, from The Companion Animal Epilepsy Research Lab at North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine. All of the the guests are listed above in the event banner.

If you know of anyone who is a caregiver of a dog with Epilepsy, a rescue or shelter, be sure to share this with them! We will be answering many important questions.

In the meantime, here's some more important info to have that is a great place to start when formulating your own questions for your own veterinarian team. Remember...you are not alone!

 




 

Gibson showed me that he could do so much, and that having epilepsy did not stop him. He loved life. I always said he had a “zest” for life, and he surely did.  Our message to folks was that dogs can~and DO~live full, happy lives for however long we are blessed to have them. And...they can certainly do all the things dogs who do not have Epilepsy can do--from mushing to showing to hiking and dock diving to skijoring and urban mushing and just chilling on the couch with their beloved hu-families.

Epi-dogs can #LiveGibStrong

Together over the years we have accomplished so much in the name of Canine Epilepsy Awareness, from launching an international #LiveGibStrong awareness campaign, joining Purple Day® Every Day/The Anita Kaufmann Foundation to launch the #Paws4Purple educational initiative featuring my work ~ the first human organization to add Canine Awareness! 

 


Gibson also inspired me to write two multi award-winning books on Canine Epilepsy: What's Wrong With Gibson? Learning About K-9 Epilepsy and EPIc Dog Tales: Heartfelt Stories About Amazing Dogs Living and Loving Life With Canine Epilepsy (this 264-page beautiful coffee table book contains the stories and photos of 124 amazing Epi-dogs across the world as told to me by their familes); to many articles in national publications; being magazine cover dog; hosting numerous shows on our #FiveSibes "The Sibe Vibe" aired on Dog Works Radio and iTunes; and becoming Purple Day® for Epilepsy Ambassadors since 2012. 

 

To read about this book's release, visit our blog post HERE. 

 

 Awarded "EXCELLENCE" in Reference Book Category

To purchase the book, go to our  
For November's Epilepsy Awareness Month, we are offering a 
25% DISCOUNT using our code: FIVESIBESGIBSON ~and~ DONATING 20% to Canine Epilepsy research.
Simply Email us at ArcticHousePublishing(at)gmail.com 
and put EPIc Dog Tales in subject line and you will receive an invoice with the discount. 
There is a limited quantity of print books.

💜

 Below is a video from the day Gibson and I received the  
EPIc Dog Tales books from the printer shortly before Christmas that year! We were both SO excited! 
Oh, how I miss my boy's voice! 

 

To order this book, please visit our FiveSibes ArcticHouse Books & Gifts Shoppe HERE.  
20% Off For Epilepsy Awareness Month! 
Code: FiveSibes
Email Us for an Invoice!
ArcticHousePublishing(at)Gmail.com
Put EPIc Dog Tales in Subject Line

Gibson was truly a star. Wherever he went, he gave his famous "Gibbie" kisses and just made everyone feel better for meeting him. He was a very special boy, an old soul, and my spirit guide. He was truly one in a million and I miss him every day, even though I carry him in my heart for always.

My Cover Dog star, who helped to spread the word about living life with zest, even with Canine Epilepsy. He graced a 2013 cover of AmericanPet Magazine.


 To read the article on Gibson titled "Gib Strong," 
 

I continue to carry on his awareness legacy, even after he earned his angel wings, by participating in promotion of trials by North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine The Companion Animal Epilepsy Research Lab (and I was honored to do the opening welcome for their conference last year); to volunteering with The Wally Foundation as a case manager to help other Epi-dog parents; to partnering with Purple Day® Every Day Presented by The Anita Kaufmann Foundation to author the #Paws4Purple Canine Epilepsy initiative, to developing an important K9 Epilepsy poster "Cooling Down an Epi-Dog: Where Do I Put Cold Packs?!" with the assistance of a renowned artist and Gibson's expert veterinarian.

  
So, as we prepare for the holiday season, it's important to remember that while we have this month to highlight epilepsy awareness and help educate others about how dogs with epilepsy (Epi-dogs) can~and do~ live happy lives, while also sharing important tips and resources to help those families and guardians of Epidogs, awareness and help is not just one month, but all year long. And we here at FiveSibes, have created in the name of my late Epi-dog, Gibson, our #FiveSibes #LiveGibStrong K-9 Epilepsy Online Resource Library packed with info, vet advice, and links to important resources in the hopes of helping others who find themselves on this journey with their beloved dogs. If someone finds out their dog has just received a diagnosis of Canine Epilepsy, this is the place for them to start. Then they can compile questions to review with their vet about the proper care for their Epi-dog.  

 
And...an important key item is to find a vet who is knowledgeable about seizures in dogs and will work with them for their dog's care.  
 
Please share our online Library filled with info & resources to help others! (Simply click on the image below).
 
 








 Thank you, my sweet Gibbie. 

I'll love you forever.


Note: These are the personal stories of Epi-dogs as told by their families. As always, discuss any medications, alternative treatments, new foods, etc., with your veterinarian first before giving to your dog.
 
💜 

 

Other Stories in Epi-Stars Series:  

 

Epi-Star Emma, go HERE
 
Epi-Stars Quinn & Sue go HERE. 
 
Epi-Star Ruby, the Therapy Dog, go HERE. 
 
Epi-Star Gibbs, the Therapy Dog, go HERE.
 
Epi-Star Jackie, Guiding Eyes for the Blind Ambassador/IBM Neurodiversity Mascot, go HERE.
 
Epi-Star Manilow, go HERE. 
 
Epi-Star Cheyenne, go HERE. 
 
Epi-Stars Riona & Fearghas, go HERE
 
Epi-Star Lily, go HERE
 
Epi-Star Luna, go HERE
 
Epi-Star Olivia, go HERE
 
Epi-Star Max, go HERE.
 

 

  🧡 Memories Are Visits For The Heart 🧡


 

The Linky tool will open all week for you to join us in the Blog Hop and share pics from yesteryear or yesterday, include our badge and *link back to us*, and  be sure to hop along and visit the other blogs and don't forget to leave a nice comment! 

Happy Friday!

 


 

Back to our Home Page and Our Other Pages, including Our About the Breed Page and Our #LiveGibStrong On-Line K-9 Epilepsy Resource Page, ArcticHouse Books & Gifts Shoppe & so much more!  Just click on "More" Pages at top of blog.

 

Comments

  1. An utterly brilliant and invaluable post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the huMom of an epi-warrior I have learned so much from all the resources you've shared. Armed with that information, sweet Elsa is enjoying a life I never knew possible. Thank you for all you do! Hugs and tail wags from me and my Ninja-girl. 💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always in awe of the legacy you continue to pave for Gibson. You and your beautiful "Gibbie" are truly rock stars for helping so many Epi-Dogs. I had no idea about applying ice packs to an Epi-Dog having a seizure. That graphic is very helpful The zoom event should be simply amazing! And the video of Gibson at the printer is absolutely adorable! I'm sharing this article with all my dog parents and I'm really hoping that in the very near future Epi-Dogs will be a thing of the past because their will be a cure. 🤞🐶💖

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorothy, you've become such a great resource for dogs with Epilepsy, and a great advocate as well. Gibson was such a beautiful, special boy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Acupressure and Ice to Relieve Seizures and A #LiveGibStrong Epi-Tip

#PrayersForHarley - Dewclaw Tumor

The Rainbow Bridge Welcomes A New FurAngel - Buddy, the Christmas Husky - A Forever Symbol of Hope for Rescued Dogs

Fit For Our #FiveSibes Alpha Queen: Celebrating Harley's 14½ Birthday

Preparing Your Epi-Dog For The Solar Eclipse