November Epilepsy Awareness Month: Meet Epi-Stars RIONA & FEARGHAS



Epi-Star "Riona"  & "Fearghas"

 

  

by Dorothy Wills-Raftery

This month, for November's Epilepsy Awareness Month, I have been writing an Epi-Star series, based on the concept of my book EPIc Dog Tales: Heartfelt Stories About Amazing Dogs Living & Loving Life With Canine Epilepsy, I am highlighting some amazing dogs who have/had Canine Epilepsy, but never let that stop them from living life. A few starred in my book, including today's beauties, Kelly Robinson's Mastiffs "Riona" and "Fearghas."

For many, when one of our dogs starts having seizures it is scary, lonely, and nerve-wracking. Can you imagine two? That is exactly what happened with Kelly’s two beautiful English Mastiffs. The first seizure moment arrived in 2012. “It was the morning after the Patriots lost the Super Bowl," retells Kelly. "I awoke to my beautiful brindle girl acting strange, her head jerking back and forth like a sprinkler head. I started talking to her and my husband awoke. Just as he woke up, she flopped over on her side in his direction convulsing and legs paddling.”

Her 170-pound girl “Riona,” was only 21 months old. “She underwent many tests, but ultimately they found nothing wrong." She was deemed to have Idiotpahtic Epilepsy, meanin no known cure. The battle against the seizure monster was “unpredictable,” and Kelly said adjusting medication was ongoing. “But Riona’s sweet, gentle giant demeanor never changed.” 

 

Puppy "Fearghas" loved his sis, "Riona," right away!
 
Fast forward to Labor Day Weekend of the same year. Kelly and her husband awoke to discover their other Mastiff, Fearghas, who was only 11 months old at the time, was “panting and drooling excessively.”   
 
Their thoughts? “Two epileptic Mastiffs? Is this really happening?”
 
Kelly and her husband had Mastiffs before, who lived long lives to ages 11 and 12, Canine Epilepsy in the breed was new to them.
 


“I talk about Riona and Fearghas all the time. Every time I talk with a family seeing a seizure for the first time I remember how (we) felt that first morning.  I always try to give the family hope.  Hope was huge for me.” 

~Kelly Robinson, hu-mom to two Mastiffs with Canine Epilepsy & admin of Riona, A Mastiffs Life With Epilepsy and Fearghas, A Mastiffs Life With Epilepsy Facebook Pages.

 

In my book, EPIc Dog Tales: Heartfelt Stories About Amazing Dogs Living & Lovng Life With Canine Epilepsy, Kelly notes, “Their disease doesn’t change them. They love to play, wrestle, run, and move the furniture. They love to have visitors because everyone who comes over comes to see them, of course. They’ve learned what Daddy’s alarm on his cell phone means…time for treats! Each day, Fearghas takes 24 pills and Riona takes 30 pills, spread out at five different times. It’s not medicine though, not to them…with the meds comes treats! Bananas, pineapple, melon, cheese, pill pockets, it’s always something they love!”

Kelly noted that they didn’t “miss out because of their disease,” they adapted to it.” While both Riona and Fearghas have since journeyed to the Rainbow Bridge, Riona in 2014, and Fearghas in 2018 and ironically, both in December, Kelly carries on with Canine Epilepsy awareness both in person and through their Facebook pages: Riona, A Mastiffs Life With Epilepsy and Fearghas, A Mastiffs Life With Epilepsy.

 

To purchase the book, go to our  
For November's Epilepsy Awareness Month, we are offering a 
25% DISCOUNT using our code: FIVESIBESGIBSON ~and~ DONATING 20% to Canine Epilepsy research.
Simply Email us at ArcticHousePublishing(at)gmail.com 
and put EPIc Dog Tales in subject line and you will receive an invoice with the discount. 
There is a limited quantity of print books.
💜
 
 
These days, she is in training to become a vet tech, and works part-time in a veterinarian’s office, bringing her experience with Canine Epilepsy with her. She says the vet there likes having her talk with families whose dog(s) may be having seizures. “I talk about Riona and Fearghas all the time. Every time I talk with a family seeing a seizure for the first time I remember how Pat and I felt that first morning.  I always try to give the family hope.  Hope was huge for me. Dr Faissler, Riona's neurologist, always made me feel like everything would be okay. We had med options, and it would be fine. I want people to know that seizures do suck, but living a normal life is possible.” 



“Their disease (didn't) change them. They love(d) to play, wrestle, run, and move the furniture... I always say Riona and Fearghas made me a better person. They taught me so much and I will be forever grateful.”
~Kelly Robinson 

 

In looking back over their lives with two Epi-dogs, Kelly remembers them fondly. “I always wish both Riona and Fearghas were with us longer, but always feel fortunate that we had them for the time we did. Giant breeds have shorter life spans already, but for being epileptic, Fearghas lived seven wonderful years. We just enjoyed being together, playing in the yard, and for sure, Ferg loved snow!” 

 


Kelly says a day does not go by that she doesn’t think of her two Epi-furangels. “I do still wear their dog tags (that say epileptic). My hair is still streaked with purple, my tattoos (their portraits, my purple ribbon, and purple rose) are permanent tributes to them, my phone wallpaper is still both of them, and everything I wear is purple. The girls I work with, and the doctor, all wore purple last Tuesday for Epilepsy Awareness Month. I always say Riona and Fearghas made me a better person. They taught me so much and I will be forever grateful.”  

Kelly adds, "I always say Riona and Fearghas made me a better person. They taught me so much and I will be forever grateful.”  

 

To follow Riona, A Mastiffs Life With Epilepsy, go HERE.

To follow Fearghas, A Mastiffs Life With Epilepsy, go HERE.

 

💜

 

Note: These are the personal stories of Epi-dogs as told by their families. As always, discuss any medications, alternative treatments, new foods, etc., with your veterinarian first before giving to your dog.

 


Other Stories in the Epi-Star Series:

 
Epi-Star Gibson of FiveSibes, go HERE
 
Epi-Star Emma, go HERE
 
Epi-Stars Quinn & Sue go HERE. 
 
Epi-Star Ruby, the Therapy Dog, go HERE. 
 
Epi-Star Gibbs, the Therapy Dog, go HERE.
 
Epi-Star Jackie, Guiding Eyes for the Blind Ambassador/IBM Neurodiversity Mascot, go HERE.
 
Epi-Star Manilow, go HERE

Epi-Star Cheyenne, go HERE.
 

 


 

 

 

Click on graphic above to visit

 


 Back to our Home Page and Our Other Pages, including Our About the Breed Page and Our #LiveGibStrong On-Line K-9 Epilepsy Resource Page, ArcticHouse Books & Gifts Shoppe & so much more!  Just click on "More" Pages at top of blog. 

   

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acupressure and Ice to Relieve Seizures and A #LiveGibStrong Epi-Tip

#PrayersForHarley - Dewclaw Tumor

The Rainbow Bridge Welcomes A New FurAngel - Buddy, the Christmas Husky - A Forever Symbol of Hope for Rescued Dogs

Fit For Our #FiveSibes Alpha Queen: Celebrating Harley's 14½ Birthday

Preparing Your Epi-Dog For The Solar Eclipse