The Train of Life

 

FiveSibes Flashback Photo ~ "Gibson" ~ April 2011
 
 W ith Purple Day® for Epilepsy coming up soon on March 26th, along with our 9th annual #LiveGibStrong Purple Day Blog Hop, I've been thinking so much about my Epi-warrior, BFF (best furry friend), and inspriation, Gibson. In preparation, I've been going through many photos and videos and find myself reminiscing and caught in a time warp. I've said it before, and I'll say it a million times more, time is surreal. I've shared this pic before of my boy, but this time I took some creative liberties and placed him outside of a train window--where the passengers on life's journey could spot him in all of his beauty enjoy the journey. He never let epilepsy take his zest and joy for life away. 
 
This photo represents a fond memory that is one of my favorites. Truth be told, I have so many favorites. But, this one represented one of Gibson's "Phoenix Rising" moments. I had him on a health regimen that included dietary changes and daily walks as he had gained a good deal of weight (20 pounds) from being on anti-epileptic medications for over two years at this point, and one of the side effects was increased appetite, which led to his steady weight gain. So, this was a day when we began going on the extended walks. I'm still not sure who enjoyed these private one-on-one walks, Gibson or me. I'm guessing, we both loved it. 
 
The thing about Gibson was he walked beautifully on leash. He was not a puller, and often I could literally hold the leash with my pinky, or lightly drape it over his back, and he would keep his steady, slow stride. Always. If I paused, he paused. He was that dependable. Even spotting a cat, or squirrel, or a passing dog, he would never take off or pull on the leash. He would stop, ears perked, and watch. But he never pulled me or ran off. 
 
On this particular day, we walked by the trains in the nearby train yard, when suddenly one pulled in. Gibson never broke stride. The train and horn was not startling to him at all. I squatted down next to him and placed my hands over his ears to dull the horn (being an Epi, I never knew if something could be a trigger. One of his triggers was stress, so I worried the train and horn could be stressful or scary for him. When in fact, it was as if Gib loved to watch and listen to the trains, totally unbothered by their vibrations, squeaky wheels, or horn. Whenever the conductor would see us, he'd wave. Gibson loved people, so I'm sure he knew the conductor was waving at his gorgeous self! Wherever we went, Gibson was always the star! Now, while he was a true ladies man and really loved the gals, he'd sit right down and enjoy a nice relaxing time or a walk or run with a guy just the same. But at the end of the day, G was my boy. My heart dog. My shadow. My best furry friend. 
 
As this quote says, life is the train--and life with an Epi, or non-Epi, is indeed a constant journey A beautiful, crazy, nerve-wracking, wonderful journey that I'm forever grateful I was able to take with my big, furry beautiful boy.
 
"Life is the train, not the station. Our life is a constant journey. The landscape changes, the people change, but the train keeps moving." ~Paul Coelho

 

 


 💛 Memories Are Visits For the Heart 💛

 

Join Us!

The Linky tool will open all week for you to join us in the Blog Hop and share pics from yesteryear or yesterday! Please include our badge and *link back to us*, and  be sure to hop along down Memory Lane with us and visit the other blogs. Don't forget to leave a nice comment! Happy Friday!


 Back to our Home Page and Don't Forget to Visit Our Other Pages, including Our #LiveGibStrong On-Line K-9 Epilepsy Resource Page,  About the Siberian Husky Breed, Rescues, Lost & Found, Other K9 Articles by FiveSibesMom, ArcticHouse Gifts & Books Shoppe, and more! Just click on "More" Pages at top of blog.

 

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK: 

 

FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM:
 

 

Comments

  1. What a beautiful memory of Gibson to share. I love that he was so easy on a walk. Jealous, is the better word. lol Heart dogs are the best. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a nice post about the every so sweet Angel Gibson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! That's truly remarkable that Gibson didn't get scared or anxious with the train noise. I think he simply trusted you and if you thought it was ok, he was ok with it as well. You two had an unspeakable bond that goes beyond words. I love that he was so good on a leash. Somehow, I'm not at all surprised. I had a horse, Macho, that was very much like that on lead. If I stopped, he stopped. If I trotted, he trotted. I could simply drape his lead over his neck and he'd walk with me with no distractions. However, he was blind in one eye and learned to trust me through his health issues, much like Gibson did with you. These types of bonds are so special and we're so lucky to experience them. Thank you so much for sharing these beautiful memories. Absolutely precious! I wish everyone could have a Gibson. His legacy definitely lives on through your work. I can't wait to help you recognize Epi-Dogs on March 26. As always, Dorothy, I'm sharing this lovely post with all my dog parents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Acupressure and Ice to Relieve Seizures and A #LiveGibStrong Epi-Tip

#PrayersForHarley - Dewclaw Tumor

The Rainbow Bridge Welcomes A New FurAngel - Buddy, the Christmas Husky - A Forever Symbol of Hope for Rescued Dogs

Fit For Our #FiveSibes Alpha Queen: Celebrating Harley's 14½ Birthday

Preparing Your Epi-Dog For The Solar Eclipse