Saturday, March 26, 2011

Pet Poison Prevention Week: Do You Have the Tips? And Help Needed to Unite a Homeless Husky with its New Mom


Is your yard pet safe?
Even though today is the last day of National Poison Prevention Week, we should always be alert and attempt to prevent poisoning – do you have the tips? And then there are always those accidental cases, where even with the best of intentions, pets somehow manage to find, ingest, or come in contact with poisonous substances. Do you know what to do?

First and foremost – keep your vet, local emergency vet hospital, and a Poison Control number visible by your phone and listed in your cell phone.



 Secondly - do a safety check around your home, car, yard, garage - anywhere your pet has access to.

Thirdly - be aware of what is poisonous. Some seemingly harmless items can be pose a very serious threat to your pet.

According to Pet Poison Helpline, the top poisons include:

  1. Human medications, including ibuprofen and acetaminophen 
  2. Insecticides (STOP, don’t spray that wasp or spider anywhere near your pet or on a surface where you pet can get to!)  
  3. Rodenticides
  4. People Food: chocolate, Xylitol, grapes, raisins, onions, and garlic 
  5. Veterinary Medications (keep out of reach of furkids)
  6. Household Toxins (keep all bleach, rubbing alcohol, ammonia, cleaners, etc. out of pet's reach)
  7. Plants (indoor and outdoor)
  8. Herbicides  
  9. Outdoor Toxins, including antifreeze and fertilizers, which with the arrival of the warmer weather, can pose constant threat (gardening, open garage doors, etc).

For a more detailed list and what the side effects are, as well as steps to do in the case your pet has ingested a poison, please visit Pet Poison Helpline/Animal Control Center's website or the ASPCA Poison Control Center. 

Please, always first contact your own veterinarian in case of an emergency.
  
Don't forget that potential dangers can be hiding in a woman's handbag. Once one of our Sibes opened the door, went into my daughter's room, and happily ate half a bag of Sour Patch gummies that were in her purse from when she was at a movie theatre. Sounds silly, and although the Sibe was fine, it could have ended up with a visit to the emergency vet clinic. Needless to say, be sure handbags are closed up tight and all tucked out of the way of your pet's reach. Here's a great clip from Pet Poison Helpline about the poisonous pet villians that can be lurking in that pocketbook:





And let’s not forget about the button battery dangers…those tiny batteries in cameras, phones, watches, toys, even talking books, can pose a huge danger to our pets, especially if you have some chewers. Check out this broadcast:




Can you help unite this homeless Husky with its new adoptive Hu-Mom?
Can you help me get to my new Hu-Mommy?
And on a separate note - I have a fellow Sibe-loving friend who is in need of some assistance. She has opened her heart and home to a homeless Husky, "Macy," who is currently in a shelter in Alabama. The new Hu-Mom is looking for a temporary Foster Hu-Parent to provide for Macy until she can finish making proper arrangements to welcome her new furbaby home, or to help transport Macy. Macy is said to be a gentle, friendly girl, who is understandably scared right now. The Foster Parent's home, if they have pets of their own, needs to be sickness/parasite free. The new Hu-Mom/rescuer is also looking for some help with transporting the pretty girl from Athens to Summerville, Georgia, where there is a transport alliance waiting to bring Macy home to her new mommy in Pennsylvania. If you can help get - one person or more - transport Macy from her current destination to her new furever home, please contact Macy's new mom via Email at winterstormrage(at)comcast(dot)net. Please help make Macy's dreams of being in a loving furever home come true! Her Hu-Mom is waiting! Woos and Thank Yous for any assistance. Please "share," repost, or Retweet...whatever you can do to help get these two together will be greatly appreciated!





15 comments:

  1. You always have the bestest informations hehe. I hope Macy finds the most pawfect happy ending she deserves!

    Woofs,
    Pepsi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things work out for Macy. Yeah, can't be too careful as dogs will eat just about anything given the chance. Eat now and ask questions later.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was sure great stuff, I think it should be required reading!!! I hope that sweetie gets a home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, another great PSA. Our Mom won't let anyone in the house have gum with xylitol and she is very careful both for us and the little bipeds with all those risks, especially the small batteries and little magnets.

    Hope things work out for Macy.

    Thanks for all the lovely comments today.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, and oh so important!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post as usual - thanks for sharing some of these dangers. We see ALOT of rat poison ingestion at our clinic. It's NOT pretty. I hadn't considered the tiny battery issue. Thanks for the insight. Where in Alabama is this homeless husky?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post fur many many reasons!

    I've pawed fur Macy on my Sunday blog - I might link to your post too since woo worded it so furry well AND shared a pikh!

    After what poor Macy went through, she deserves furever happiness like I have!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  8. O hai! U has an awesome!! :) It is very important to be safe, and I hope lots of hoomans will learn how to help their critter friends be healthy and avoid the yuckies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the great post. We wished we lived closer to help Macy get to her furever Mom. We've got our paws crossed that she'll make it to her Mom soon.:)

    Love,
    Teddy Bear

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post! Very good point with the handbag, I never thought of that.

    I hope Macy finds her forever home, she is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great roundup of info! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an important post. Thank you for taking the time to share it. We are forwarding it to a couple family members who don't blog, but who need to know.

    Our paws are crossed for Macy. We hope we hear a happy ending to the story.

    Love and many xxx
    Jake and Fergi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this important post; if it saves one furry life it will have done an important service. I wish we were close and could help in transport...may Marcy get the temporary foster and rides she needs to be safe in a loving forever home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ironic. We lost our 4th member of the pack, Taz the cat, yesterday to poisoning. Sadly in the rural areas of Spain poison is widely used even though it is illegal. Even after nearly 8 years of wise tough "campo" living Taz fell for it. You cant stop a cat from wondering and eating whatever they fin. We are all missing her, the dogs have been very quiet today.

    We hope Macy finds a new home very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What another great post of helpful, important information. So important for humans to be aware of the dangers us pets can get into, by no fault of our own. Thanks for getting this important message out!

    Macy is adorable, and my paws are crossed that she can get to her forever home quickly and safely.

    Suka

    ReplyDelete