Veterans Day: A Time to Honor our Soldiers and Their K9 Partners

Wolf takes a moment to reflect upon his K9 heroes.
On today, Veterans Day, the 11th day of the 11th month...let us all pause at the 11th hour from our daily tasks to take a moment and offer our thanks to all of our veterans both past and present, as well as the soldiers currently serving - both human and K9 - for their faithful service.


I'd like to dedicate this Veterans Day blog to my late father, a SSGT who served two tours during WWII. The first in the U.S. Army's First Division (the Big Red One), and the second with the Rainbow Division. My dad was a great lover of dogs and animals in general. Here he is pictured at his Army base with a couple of his furpals.

Just how many different types of canines served as war dogs? According to the United States War Dog Association, in "January, 1942, not long after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the American Kennel Association and a new group calling itself 'Dogs for Defense' mobilized dog owners across the country to donate quality animals to the Army's Quartermaster Corps." Among the breeds used, were the Belgium Sheep Dog, German Shepherd, Collie, Doberman Pinscher, Eskimo, and the Siberian Husky.
  

BUCK WAS THE WAR DOGS AMBASSADOR.  HE DIED MARCH 23, 2006

"When Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7, 1941,the United States inventory of military working dogs consisted of only 90 Siberian Huskies and Malamutes. These dogs were used as pack and sled dogs for rescue in areas of the world where motorized equipment could not go." --Our War Dogs, Buck's Heroes


VETERANS: WE SALUTE AND THANK YOU!

Please take a few minutes on this Veterans Day to watch this beautiful Military Working Dog & Fallen K9 Handler Tribute video provided on YouTube by WarDogs2008:


"My eyes are your eyes to watch and protect you and yours. My ears are your ears to hear and detect evil minds in the dark. My nose is your nose to scent the invader of your domain. And so you may live, my life is also yours." --The K9 Promise by Author Unknown

And thanks to The Teacher's Pets for today's Veterans Day Blog Hop!

Comments

  1. What a terrific post. That video is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a heartfelt, lovely post.

    I, too, will be honoring and saluting all the past and present human and animal Vets who have proudly served their countries. I appreciate their sacrifice and dedication.

    And thank you for sharing your father's story. He was a handsome man! I am sorry he has passed, but a big thank you for his service to our Country. And for loving us dogs!

    Suka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tribute to all our amazing veterans.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tribute. I am lucky enough to live near the national Arboretum here in Staffordshire where we can go and honour our fallen and those from all over the world at any time. The canine fathful are too often forgotten but my Father was a military man and we lived on military camps so I know how important tha dogs are to soldiers. Ever faithful.
    On a lighter note and because I've fallen for your dogs I have chosen you to receive 'The Stylish Blog' award. No, don't get too excited. Nip over and see how to receive and forward it. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am learning a lot in Blogville today....I never knew that dogs played such a big part in the war and I can see why! Huskies are the sweetest, most well mannered, and the most hard working dogs I know so 3 cheers for huskies to all the others who served this country!
    By the way, I am your newest follower (I thought I already was a follower but was surprised to find I wasn't)! Thanks for taking the THANKFUL FUR 3 THURSDAY BLOG HOP link to your blog and thanks for adding your blog to the linky list! Would you like me to feature your dogs next Thursday? If so, do you have a picture you'd like me to use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for blog hopping over my way today. That was really a great post and the video was pawsome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the great post. Your dad the animal lover sounds a lot like my dad who taught weaponry in the military during WWII.
    ~Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful post! It gave Mom goosebumps!

    wags, wiggles & slobbers
    Murphydog

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post and to not forget the working pups as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks fur the wonderful Veterans Day post. Your dad sounds like a great guy! We became aware of the role Siberian Huskies played in the military a couple years ago when we researched military dogs. We are so proud that our ancestors worked side by side with our bipeds ancestors to make this world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to say that your award is ready for collection on my side bar...it mysteriously disappeared last night but I found it skulking on a different page. Just copy and paste :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful tribute to your father and to the dogs who work with our soldiers. I didn't know that Sibes played such a big role. I love the photo of the Ambassador.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a wonderful post, and a great tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Acupressure and Ice to Relieve Seizures and A #LiveGibStrong Epi-Tip

#PrayersForHarley - Dewclaw Tumor

The Rainbow Bridge Welcomes A New FurAngel - Buddy, the Christmas Husky - A Forever Symbol of Hope for Rescued Dogs

Fit For Our #FiveSibes Alpha Queen: Celebrating Harley's 14½ Birthday

Shave a Husky? Don't Do it!