Our alpha gal, Harley, is getting into the spirit of the spooky season. She loves all the glowing orange jack-o-lanterns and festive decorations around the house; especially the lighted ceramic black cat…to which she tips her head in curiosity as I “meow”…yes, I really did. I almost lost that ceramic cat to a ready-to-pounce Sibe, so I won’t be replaying that joke again!
- Never, ever leave pets dressed in costumes alone. Not even for a minute.
- Be sure to check if the costume is flame retardant/resistant.
- Be very careful of anything that ties around the pet’s neck or leg, or any part of its body. Ties can become tight, thereby cutting off circulation and causing swelling or a worse injury.
- If the animal decides the costume looks yummy (everything to a Sibe looks chewable), it could become a choking hazard or parts of the chewed costume could cause an internal blockage. Some glues and chemicals used in and on the costumes could also be poisonous if ingested.
- Pets in costume could become entangled in and on things both in and out of the house.
- Certain pets – such as Siberian Huskies – do not tolerate the heat well. Be careful not to dress them in too heavy of a costume or keep it on them for too long, thereby causing them to overheat.