My Dogs Are Cool...Are Yours? Be the Change for Animals and Keep Them Safe From the Heat


My dogs are cool…are yours?

Harley is one cool Husky.
Okay, so we’re bragging a little…our dogs ARE cool…but I will get to why in just a moment. 

First, before we start talking about why our dogs cool, let's talk about what the significance of today is.

Today is "Blog the Change for Animals," which is part of "Be the Change for Animals (BtC4A),"  and we are joining other pet lovers and advocates across the globe to Blog the Change about a cause that is important to us. 

Be the Change!
According to BtC4A, Blog the Change is when we, the pet community, "Come together to support people helping animals in need each 15th of January, April, July and October. Bloggers, write about a cause near and dear to your heart." Previously, I have blogged about Canine Epilepsy Awareness, which is very near and dear to my heart, and Helping Huskies in Need. I've also participated in Blog the Change for Animals about Pet Fire Safety and Pet Oxygen Masks, Prevention of Animal CrueltyBe Smart Ride Safe® Bark Buckle-Up for Animal Safety & Protection, and Pledging for Safe Pet Travel.

Chloe took the Pledge!

"When it was 72 degrees outside, a car’s internal temperature climbed to 116 degrees within one hour."

Gibson's cool...in the pool.
This installment, I'd like to talk about keeping our pets safe during the hot weather months. So, back to bragging rights and why our Siberian Huskies are so cool. They are cool because during the hot weather we make sure they always have fresh cool drinking water all day long, a pool filled with refreshing water they can splash in and out of when they are outdoors, and plenty of time indoors snoozing in the air conditioning with fans rotating overhead.When going for walks, we do so in early morning and after sundown, and they are walked along the grassy road's edge and not on the blacktop.  I try to stick to shady paths, and always have a water bottle and portable dish with me to give them a rest and a cool drink. If I need to go to vet's during the hot summer months here, I cool my vehicle off first with the air conditioner and then drive them over (secured with a safety belt).


Gibson took the Cool Dog Pledge!
We also never, ever, ever (did I mention ever?) leave our dogs in the car…not even for a minute to run in a store. I never did it with my daughter, and I do not do it with my furkids. Did you know that on a comfy and seemingly cool 72ºF day, the temperature inside of a car can reach 116ºF? That’s brutally hot for me, now just imagine what kind of harm it can do to a dog.

According to RedRover President and CEO Nicole Forsyth, dogs are:

  • Especially vulnerable to heat-related illness because they can only cool off by panting and through the pads in their feet.
  • Even seemingly mild days are dangerous. In a Stanford University study, when it was 72 degrees outside, a car’s internal temperature climbed to 116 degrees within one hour.
  • Enclosed cars heat up quickly. In a study by San Francisco State University, when it was 80 degrees outside, the temperature inside a car rose to 99 degrees in 10 minutes and 109 degrees in 20 minutes.
  • A dog’s normal body temperature is between 101 to 102.5 degrees; a dog can only withstand a high body temperature for a short time before suffering nerve damage, heart problems, liver damage, brain damage or even death.
  • Studies show that cracking the windows has little effect on a vehicle’s internal temperature.

Bandit loves to be a cool dog!
And…it IS illegal in 14 states (needs to be in all 50). You can check out the areas where it is illegal to leave animals in parked cars, also known as "inhumane confinement" by visiting the Animal Legal & Historical Center website

Check out this important video from RedRover showing just how hot a car can get by demonstrating with a chocolate candy dog:


So just how cool are my dogs? Very! They are so cool, they took the "Is Your Dog Cool?" pledge to:
  • help get the word out about the dangers of leaving a pet in a hot car, even with the windows rolled down they are in danger,
  • educating folks on how to prevent pet deaths from being left in a hot car, and
  • reminding people to never leave their pet in a car during the warm weather season. (Yes, I said "warm." Remember the statistic above about when it is a warm 72ºF day, temps inside a car can reach 116ºF?)

My Dog Is CoolI invite everyone to come join in and pledge to help pets from becoming seriously ill and dying a horrible death because their owner - the person who is supposed to love and care for them - just could not leave them at home where it is safe and cool. Help me educate folks by visiting the MyDogIsCool.com website and taking the "Is Your Dog Cool? Pledge" and downloading some of their flyers and posters to share with everyone everywhere. 

Wolf wants You to be Cool!
Together, we just may save an innocent dog somewhere from frying in a car. Together, we can make a difference by helping to educate people about the dangers of leaving their dogs in a parked car, even with the windows cracked. So join me in having the coolest dogs around...and let's get even more dogs to join our Cool Club by Being the Change for Animals! 

I'd also like to take a moment to help spread the word about the "Bloggers Unite for Dog Rescue" online event on July 23rd to promote dog adoption. Visit Be the Change for Animals Link for more details on how you can join in.



In the meantime, enjoy the warmer weather, stay safe, watch out for pets in hot cars (get help if you see one), and be cool! 





Comments

  1. Ugh, I know, it makes me sick when I see this. That's a good point - you wouldn't do this with your kids, so why would you do it with your furries? Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you soooo much for sharing this post. I learnt something very important. I used to do that to my dog when I first got him. I didn't know anything but I will never ever do it again and I will defnitely spread the knowledge.

    Thank you sooo much, once again. I am filled with guilt now.

    I'll be back,
    Sankissjuice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! So many people don't realize just how hot it can get for dogs when outside. You Sibes are COOL!!! Aroooooo!
    Oz

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me so mad that people just don't seem to understand how easily dogs overheat and that they aren't doing them any favors by bringing them along. I don't take the dogs in the car in the summer unless I am taking them someplace (like vet of daycare).

    I am quite familiar with how heat affects dogs. It has been super hot here. I wait until the evening to walk, but even if the thermometer says 72 degrees and we are mostly walking in the shade, some nights it has been too hot for Mango and we cut things short to go home.

    I hope people will wise up.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. When I play ball with the dogs on hot evenings I make sure to hose them down afterwards (even though they don't really like it). With Mango in particular, I direct the hose onto his neck and belly to make sure his major organs and blood to his brain is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post, believe it or not mom found a third pup, a boxer in a car. Mom is always calling the authorities
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post about summer safety. I would worry too much to leave my dog in a car, not even just because of the heat, but I also worry about theft. It's just too easy for someone to steal your dog, and in this day and age, it does happen. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for reminding me to bring along a bowl of water on my walks with Daisy. I keep forgetting to buy a portable bowl but today will be the day that I buy one. I also liked the suggestion to cool the car off before heading to the vets if the weather is too warm. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey would you guys like to write an article about K-9 Epilepsy for The Blogville Chronicle? This issue is important to us too cuz our brodie has epilepsy.

    Licks,
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey 5 Sibes, Jet here.

    Thanks so much for posting on this topic. We live in the tropics, so you can only imagine how hot it gets in the car... we go beyond oven to kiln! Even with Mom BLASTING the air it takes a while to cool off. We put the badge on our blog we think the subject is THAT important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! We haven't see you in a LONG time over at Doggies and Stuff but wanted to stop by on this important day to see what you were promoting - SUCH A GREAT TOPIC! We shared My Dog is Cool a few weeks back and I hope people continue to highlight it. Very important to keep dogs cool this summer! Thanks for sharing and we will see you again on the 23rd!

    Doreen and The Gang @doggiesandstuff

    ReplyDelete
  12. This topic never gets old. We just had another dog rescued from a hot vehicle in the Capital Region of New York State. Red Rover's My Dog is Cool is terrific campaign and one we'll continue to feature annually at BTC too.

    Thanks so much for Blogging the Change,

    Kim Clune
    Director
    BetheChangeforAnimals.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! We wrote about dogs in hot cars just the other day. We will never understand why people think it is okay to leave their dog in a car when it is hot outside. Sometimes humans just aren't very smart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for once again reminding folks not to leave their dogs in a hot car and for reminding us to have water available and the dangers of a hot pavement. You always do such an awesome job sharing important pet issues.

    I haven't been here lately, but I wanted you to know I avidly read you posts on FB. You do so much good.

    Thank you so much for Blogging the Change and for spreading the word about the July 23rd event. I look forward to reading your post. I know you already do so much to help lost huskies and to promote those who need a home. I look forward to reading your post.

    Mel Freer
    nodogaboutitblog.wordpress.com
    BetheChangeforAnimals.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey guys! Sorry I haven't gotten with you sooner. Please email me at rumpydog at hotmail dot com and let's talk about a blog post. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely fantastic post. It's sad, but this message can never be repeated enough. I kind of dread the arrival of summer because I know that I'll start seeing these horrible stories in the news. So thank you for spreading awareness - here's hoping that many more take the pledge!

    A.J.
    BetheChangeforAnimals.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Acupressure and Ice to Relieve Seizures and A #LiveGibStrong Epi-Tip

#PrayersForHarley - Dewclaw Tumor

The Rainbow Bridge Welcomes A New FurAngel - Buddy, the Christmas Husky - A Forever Symbol of Hope for Rescued Dogs

Fit For Our #FiveSibes Alpha Queen: Celebrating Harley's 14½ Birthday

Shave a Husky? Don't Do it!