Today is Wolf's Surgery Day

"I'm ready to go to the hospital, Mom."
Today my boy Wolf went in for surgery. I just came back a short while ago from dropping him off at the vet's. Watching him as he sauntered down the hallway toward the pre-surgery area, my heart swelled with pride for my baby boy. Wolf, although he along with his two siblings Chloe and Bandit, turned four in January, he is the baby of the bunch. So I know he was being strong and brave as he headed down the hallway. As he crossed through the door and out of sight, the tears flowed and I had to jet out of there and take a few moments to have a good cry in car. I know he is in excellent hands. I know he is safe. We have a wonderful veterinarian team and hospital. I always say that if I ever relocate, I'll have to figure out a way to move the hospital and all of the staff in it!  Still...I will worry, worry, worry all day about my boy, about how his surgery is going, if they can remove them all, what the biopsy results will be, how much his pain he will be in, how quickly he will heal, and how soon will he forget I left him there, my perpetually happy boy. It's tough being a mom. I also know so many of you fellow pet parents know this exact feeling.

So, why is Wolf having surgery? Wolf has had some papillomas growing on his left elbow since last summer. They started off as a small cluster of growths - similar to a miniature head of cauliflower. I had them checked and our vet took a biopsy of them and, thankfully, they were benign. I just needed to keep an eye on them for any kind of change or if they bothered him, which they haven't. And they still don't. However...

Unfortunately, they have grown in mass and have multiplied, even having some grow on top of others, and a yellowish scaliness has appeared on the tops of some of the growths. After bringing him back in for a recent follow-up, together with our vet, we deiced that he would go in and have them removed, mostly via cauterization as they are on his elbow, a very precarious place as the joint is constantly in a state of flexing and bending. While under, he will take a closer look at some of the larger ones and decide then if they should be removed surgically. Preventative care is what we are doing now...to be sure they don't turn into something more serious down the line and, at the very least, to prevent them from getting torn off during play, etc. and possibly getting infected. Still, I am the nervous mother. He's my baby boy. I keep going over in my head, "why am I doing this?" And then reminding myself it's better to have them taken care of now in their early stages, then later when they could possibly be something more serious.

Still, I worry. 

Flashback 24 hours ago:

 "Surgery? Tomorrow? Me?"


Harley, the pack momma, gave Wolf some nose pokes and kisses. "I'm a little scared," woos Wolf.
  "Don't be Wolf," offers Harley. "You'll be fine."


"I can't wait for my surgery to be over and to be back home on my bed with my family."


 The big brother pep talk. Gibson giving Wolf some 
reassuring woos before bedtime. "Love woo, Bro."


So, today, while I fluff his beds (one in my living room and one next to my bed) and get some of his favorite toys ready for his return home, he will never stray far from my thoughts. I thank everyone for all the kind thoughts, prayers, and for "hanging out in the waiting room" with me!

Comments

  1. Pawsitive siber vibes for dear Wolf! Can't wait to hear how the dear is...

    RA, Isis & NanĂĽk

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will keep you and wolf in our prayers and thoughts. I know how hard it can be when they go into surgery, sometimes a good cry is what the dr ordered for us :) Im sure all will go well, we are here if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all sending our best purrs and prayers to sweet Wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Husky hugs to Wolf. Healing prayers and thoughts! Gentle wooo woooos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of Love to WOLF! what a beautiful little boy! four is so young. those silly little warty things BE GONE from the beautiful little boy. he doesn't want 'em anyway. right?

    sigh. sibes. the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paws crossed for Wolf AND for Mom. Our Mom would be just like you. Those bumpy things look just like the cauliflower Thunder had in his ear. His only had a small stem so it snipped off quite easily and has not grown back. We hope Wolf has good luck with his too.

    Keep us updated.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we sit here waiting for the results of April's ultrasound, we will also keep our paws crossed and send the best vibes we have for Wolf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey FiveSibes,

    Our thoughts and prayers are with Wolf and your Mom today. We know Wolf will be fine, and we think it is very smart to get the issue taken care of now.

    My human, K, would react the same way as your Mom, so she completely understands how your Mom feels. Be good to your Mom today! She needs you pups!

    Love all the beautiful photos of you pups being so caring and loving toward Wolf. You are such a wonderful, loving Pack! Paws crossed for Wolf!

    Suka (and K)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woof! Woof! Sending Lots of Golden Thoughts n LOVE. Crossing my Golden PAWS everything will be alright. Lots of Golden ALOHA n Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our paws are crossed that Wolf has an uneventful surgery!

    -Bart and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paws crossed that he will be just fine!!

    Elyse and Riley

    ReplyDelete
  12. We feel your worry and we pray for good results.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Wolf!
    Wow, I'm sure you're dogtor will get you all fixed up in no time flat! You'll be a little under the weather maybe, but much better to be safe. I am sending you my bestest healing vibes and my whole pack wishes you a fast recovery.
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thinks all of us heres in Blogville understands what you is going through withda nervousness and stuffs.
    We will most definately be thinkin of you and dat Wolf...OMD, he be most handsome...will be okie dokies.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dorothy and family,

    My family and I can so relate to the anxiety of waiting through surgery with your "puppy". Our wonderful Hope had two surgeries in the same year for torn ACLs around the same time our oldest son had the same surgery! Go figure in the irony of that happening.

    She survived and healed quickly - much easier than our son did! But there will always be that little pinprick of a hole in my heart from the experience.

    Wolf is healthy, young and should heal quickly. You've done your best by him and that's all we can do.

    Thinking of you in the next few days especially.

    Lynn Spiro

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keeping you and Wolf in out thoughts today and will anxiously wait for an update!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Wolf... Ernie and I have our paws crossed fur you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope everything went well for Wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope all's well with your baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. all our feets are crossed for Wolf
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Acupressure and Ice to Relieve Seizures and A #LiveGibStrong Epi-Tip

#PrayersForHarley - Dewclaw Tumor

The Rainbow Bridge Welcomes A New FurAngel - Buddy, the Christmas Husky - A Forever Symbol of Hope for Rescued Dogs

Fit For Our #FiveSibes Alpha Queen: Celebrating Harley's 14½ Birthday

Shave a Husky? Don't Do it!